Slash Cooling Costs This Summer with These Six Tips
Don’t resign yourself to paying a small fortune just to stay cool and comfortable in your home this summer. Use these tips to improve the efficiency of your air conditioning system and its overall ability to keep your home comfortable:
- Get a Programmable Thermostat – If you’re still using an old-fashioned dial thermostat, it’s time to upgrade. Programmable thermostats are more affordable than ever, so there’s no reason not to make the switch. Depending on your budget, you might consider upgrading to a smart thermostat like the Nest that can be controlled via smartphone. It has been estimated that using a programmable thermostat can save upwards of 20 percent on utility costs.
- Cover Your Windows – Sure, there’s a lot to be said about a sunshine-flooded room. However, that sunlight only drives up the temperature during the summer, which makes your air conditioning system have to work that much harder. At the very least, use blinds and curtains to keep direct sunlight out during the day. Consider installing solar screens on your windows, as they block out up to 70 percent of solar energy and work even if the windows are open. Plant leafy trees near east- and west-facing windows to further reduce cooling costs.
- Install Ceiling Fans – With ceiling fans running in the home, you can typically increase the temperature on the thermostat by up to four degrees without sacrificing comfort. However, ceiling fans only cool people–they don’t cool rooms–so switch them off whenever a room will be unoccupied. Similarly, install exhaust or ventilation fans in bathrooms to quickly eliminate heat and moisture–just make sure that these fans vent to the outside for best results.
- Seal Ducts and Cracks – Even if you have the most efficient, high-end air conditioning system in the world, it won’t do a lot of good if the conditioned air escapes from the home. In fact, if it can escape from the ducts before getting to the registers, it is wasted as well. With that in mind, have your air ducts sealed either professionally or do it yourself. Inspect around doors and windows for cracks and seal them with caulk or weather-stripping as needed.
- Replace Air Filters Often – Since the HVAC system is usually in the basement or in another out-of-the-way place, it’s easy to forget to replace its air filter in a timely manner. Invest in a pack of filters so that you always have some on hand, and plan to swap yours out at least once per month when outdoor temperatures are high. In Arizona, of course, this often means having to replace the filter once per month all year long.
- Enroll in a Maintenance Plan – Without routine maintenance, even a well-designed HVAC system will lose efficiency and effectiveness before very long. During routine maintenance, an HVAC technician inspects your system and all of its components. They replace damaged or worn-out parts and make minor repairs along the way. They also clean the equipment to protect it and keep it running for a long time to come. Since it’s easy to fall behind on this crucial work, consider enrolling in a maintenance plan by Goettl. Technicians will come out on a predetermined basis to perform routine maintenance, and you’ll enjoy priority scheduling and discounted prices on services to boot.
Save Even More with Goettl
At a certain point, all air conditioning systems must be replaced. If yours is due, Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical has you covered. Thanks to major advances in energy efficiency and other technologies over the last several years, today’s newest air conditioner models are better than ever. Still, the manner in which they are installed has a major impact on their effectiveness and efficiency, so it’s crucial to hire the right company for the job. You can’t go wrong with Goettl.
Why hire Goettl? For one thing, this well-regarded HVAC contractor has roots stretching back all the way to 1927, which is when the company was founded in Mansfield, Ohio. Years later, Goettl relocated to central Arizona, where it remains to this day. Since 1987, Goettl has served the HVAC needs of commercial and residential customers throughout central Arizona. Our highly trained technicians provide a complete lineup of HVAC services, including professional installation, repair and maintenance of all makes of air conditioning systems.
Since going without AC in AZ is a no-go, Goettl offers extended service hours during the summer months. The company also offers an array of financing options that make it even easier for customers to afford the HVAC equipment and work that they need. In addition to specializing in the installation, repair and maintenance of all manner of HVAC equipment, Goettl offers duct sealing and cleaning services and convenient maintenance plans that take the guesswork out of keeping equipment in first-rate shape. With decades of experience in the HVAC industry, it is easy to see why Goettl has such a strong reputation for reliability, quality results and exceptional customer service.